WHAT TO DO DURING THE WARNING STAGES OF A HURRICANE
ALERT – TAKE PRECAUTIONS
Hurricane/tropical storm could strike within 72 hours
- Hurricane/tropical storm could strike within 72 hours.
- Check emergency supply kit.
- Remove overhanging limbs and fruit from trees.
- Decide whether you need to stay with friends or relatives or go to a shelter.
- Find out which shelter is closet to you and how you will get there.
- Fill vehicles with gas.
- Have extra cash on hand.
- Make arrangements for your pets in case you have to go to a shelter.
- Stay tuned to radio and television stations as well as the Cayman Compass website caymancompass.com for updated information.
WATCH – BATTEN DOWN
- Hurricane/tropical storm could strike within 48 hours.
- Stay tuned to radio and television stations as well as caymancompass.com for updated information.
- Take lawn furniture inside along with trash cans, hanging plants and anything else that can be picked up by the wind.
- Prepare to cover all windows with shutters or plywood.
- Seal gaps in doors.
- Moor boats securely or move to a designated safe place.
WARNING – TAKE REFUGE
- Hurricane/tropical storm could strike within 36 hours.
- A warning remains in effect until the storm has passed or is no longer a threat.
- Stay tuned to radio and television stations as well as caymancompass.com for updated information and official instructions.
- Listen to the advice of officials and evacuate if necessary.
- If you intend to stay with relatives or friends, go to a shelter, or take pets to a kennel, go now.
- Remove outside antennas and satellite dishes to prevent damage or loss.
- Stay away from beaches and other low areas.
- Close storm shutters.
- Close curtains and blinds to minimise danger of flying glass if windows are broken.
- Put your food and other hurricane supplies in plastic bags.
- Bring pets indoors.
- If you are remaining at home, go indoors and stay there.
- Park vehicles inside the garage or away from trees.
- Close all interior doors. Secure and brace exterior doors.
- Have a supply of flashlights and extra batteries handy.
- Turn refrigerator and freezer to coldest setting. Open only when absolutely necessary and close quickly.
- Turn off utilities if told to do so by authorities.
- Turn off propane tanks.
- Unplug small appliances.
- Raise furniture, appliances and other valuables off the floor. Cover and secure with plastic sheets. If your house has more than one story, take valuables to upper floors.
- Disconnect downspouts from cisterns and close all cistern openings.