Hurricane shelters are for community emergencies. Once there, you may not be able to leave at will, due to safety hazards outside. Ensure you have all necessary items with you.
- Three to four days’ supply of nonperishable food items that do not need cooking, heating or refrigeration. Cooking is not allowed in the shelters.
- Three to four days’ supply of water (one gallon per day, per person).
- First aid kit that includes any prescription medications.
- Special needs items for infants (formula, bottle, and diapers, etc).
- Special needs items for elderly or disabled family members.
- A blanket or sleeping bag and pillow.
- Battery-powered radio, flashlight and extra batteries.
- A change of clothes.
- Extra set of car keys, credit cards, cash.
- Passports and important family documents.
- Reading materials and quiet games to help pass time and keep children occupied.
- Car charger for your cell phone.
DO NOT TAKE:
- Pets, alcohol or tobacco, cooking equipment, weapons, cots or air mattresses, furniture.