Like Grand Cayman, the Sister Islands Emergency Committee is in place to deal with preparations before, during and after a major storm. There are several sub-committees that are assigned to carry out various tasks such as relief services, communication and evacuation.
Plans are reviewed each year and changes are made as required.
In Cayman Brac, the Emergency Operations Centre is set up in the Aston Rutty Centre, which also doubles as a shelter. There are three shelters on the island, with a total capacity of 825 people. The other two shelters are located at the Day Care Centre and West End Primary School.
In Little Cayman, there is one shelter located at the Public Works Department, with a capacity of 140. The Sisters Islands sub-committees carry out the following tasks:
ESSENTIAL RELIEF SERVICES
- Responsible for the provision and distribution of essential relief services (food, clothing, shelter management and handling overseas relief).
INFORMATION, WARNING, EVACUATION AND SEARCH AND RESCUE
- Provide timely dissemination of information as directed by the Sister Islands Emergency Committee chairperson to the public relating to an emergency.
- Alert the general public and initiate planned evacuation as determined by the emergency committee.
- Conduct timely and effective search-and-rescue actions to protect and save lives.
SHELTER ASSESSMENT, TRANSPORTATION, UTILITIES, COMMUNICATION AND DAMAGE EVALUATION
- Responsible for ensuring that public shelters are ready for hurricane season.
- Securing and safeguarding all government vehicles and equipment.
- Deployment of vehicles and equipment to strategic and affected areas for clearing debris from the main roads.
- Respond to initial search-and-rescue.
- Estimate the structural damage to government and public buildings after the passing of a hurricane.
- Police 911 or 948-0223
- Fire 911 or 948-1245
- Hospital 911 or 948-2225
- Electricity 948-4224
- District Commissioner 948-2651
- Passport Office (located at District Commissioner’s office) 948-2222
- Police 911 or 948-0083
- Fire 911 or 948-0011
- Clinic 911 or 948-0072
- District Officer 948-1051
NATIONAL EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTRE
Hazard Management Cayman Islands encompasses the National Emergency Operations Centre. In the case of a threat or disaster, it will go online and the following contact information will be active:
National Emergency Operations Centre
- Cayman Airways: 949-2311
- American Airlines: 949-0666
- Air Canada: (514) 393-3333
- United Airlines: 1-800-864-8331
- Island Air: (charter flights only): 949-5252
- British Airways: 1-800-247-9297
- US Airways: 1-800-622-1015/949-7488
- Delta: 1-800-221-1212
- Jet Blue: 1-800- 538-2583
- WestJet: 1-888-937-8538
- Aerolineas Sosa: 945-2846
RED CROSS: 949-6785, redcross.org.ky or firstname.lastname@example.org
LIVESTOCK AND PETS
Department of Agriculture Veterinary